Rededication of the Stirling Memorial Gates, Guildford

117 images Created 5 Apr 2012

On Boxing Day 2010, a large branch from one of Guildford's glorious Sugar Gums (well, from one of the very few not yet "pruned" to within an inch of its life) fell and destroyed much of the Stirling Memorial Gates.

The City of Swan undertook a full restoration program. Heritage stone-masons Guy and Rodney Weguelin were commissioned, working under the direction of project architect Mr Bruce Callow, and on April 3, 2012, the Governor of Western Austraia, His Excellency Mr. Malcolm McCusker AC CVO, officially rededicated the newly restored Gates. Students from the Guildford Primary School and Guildford Grammar School participated in the rededication ceremony, along with the Mayor and councillors from the city of Swan and many local Guildford residents.

The Gates are part of the State Heritage Listed Stirling Square. They were originally constructed to the design of the Guildford Shire Clerk, Mr Len Gibbons. They were dedicated to Sir James Stirling in the State's Centenary Year on 21st September 1929 in the presence of a large audience. A guard of honour was provided by 'A' Company of the 28th Battalion and music was provided by a military band and a local children's choir. The Gates were dedicated by the then Governor Sir William Campion, in the presence of the Mayor and Councillors of the Guildford Municipal Town Council.
View: 100 | All